00:00
0:00

Monday, June 15, 2026

Last Night Didn't Cure Me

Last night, I wanted to die.

Not in the abstract way people sometimes talk about it, not as a passing thought, or as a dramatic statement meant to get attention. I wanted to die enough that I had a method in mind, enough that I spent over an hour sitting on my bed, crying quietly, trying not to reach for the pills sitting on my desk only a few steps away. What scares me most now isn't that I wanted to die.

It's how logical it felt.

The thoughts weren't loud or chaotic, they were methodical "you're never going to move on." "No one wants to be around you." "You're a disappointment." "You haven't even tried to give your best." "You're lazy." They didn't feel like lies, they felt like conclusions.

That's one of the things people misunderstand about suicidal thoughts. They imagine overwhelming emotion, panic, irrationality. But sometimes it feels rational, sometimes your mind presents death as the most reasonable solution to a problem it has convinced itself cannot be solved.

For days, the feeling had been building. Last night it finally reached a point where fighting it felt exhausting, I was scared, not of dying but of what attempting to kill myself would do to the people around me. That fear kept me frozen in place, part of me knew I should reach out to someone, another part of me didn't want to.

I've been on the other side before, I've watched someone I care about struggle with suicidal thoughts. I remember feeling helpless, feeling guilty because I couldn't fix it, I remember irrationally feeling responsible for pain that wasn't mine to carry. I didn't want to put someone else in that position.

But eventually I reached out to my boyfriend, and something unexpected happened. The thing that helped most wasn't a profound conversation about life, it wasn't a perfect speech or a breakthrough. He just started talking about a new energy drink he likes, then he talked about wanting to own a mini-bar someday, that's it.

And somehow that helped more than trying to analyze every reason I wanted to die. The more I focused on those reasons, the more logical they seemed, the more I discussed them, the deeper I sank into them.

Talking about something ordinary interrupted the spiral.

For a while, my world had been reduced to a single question: whether I should stay alive. Then suddenly there was an energy drink, a mini-bar.

Tomorrow.

The rest of life.

The feeling didn't disappear instantly, it wasn't some movie moment where everything suddenly made sense, but the volume started lowering.

Later, I grabbed a piece of paper and started writing what I was feeling, at some point, without realizing it, I noticed something strange. The thoughts were still there, but they weren't screaming anymore. They were quieter, manageable, further away.

People often talk about suicidal crises as if there is a dramatic turning point, a single moment where everything changes. That wasn't my experience, the desire to die didn't transform into a desire to live, it simply lost some of its power.

Last night taught me something important: When you're in that state, reaching out can feel impossible. You feel dramatic, guilty, you feel like a burden, like you're bothering people, you convince yourself you should handle it alone. But isolation gives those thoughts room to grow. Connection doesn't always solve the problem, sometimes it just buys you enough time for the storm to pass, and sometimes that's enough.

I wish more people understood that suicidal thoughts aren't always a tantrum, they aren't always attention-seeking, they aren't always visible. If someone had looked at me last night, they probably wouldn't have realized how close I felt to the edge, I wasn't screaming or making a scene. I was sitting quietly on my bed, crying softly, thinking, and trying to survive the next few minutes.

I wish I could end this article with a victory speech but I can't. I don't want to pretend one difficult night cured me, the thoughts haven't vanished forever, I don't suddenly have all the answers. Part of me is still struggling, is still tired, still hears those thoughts lingering somewhere in the background. But last night, they didn't win. And today, that's the only ending I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment